QuadCityFED@netexpress.net309-788-1303 / 563-324-9414Mon/Tue: varies
Wed - Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm
Who We Are
The QCFL serves Scott, Muscatine and Louisa Counties in Iowa and Rock Island, Henry and Mercer Counties in Illinois.
The QCFL consists of 73 union locals and affiliate organizations who represent 33,000 workers.
The purpose of the Quad City Federation of Labor is to build solidarity among unions and within our communities.
For more information contact us at:
- Four Bad Things We Learned About The Epic California Drought This WeekThose concerned about California's record-breaking drought received four pieces of bad news this week: The drought is as bad as ever, the snowpack is melting rapidly, the drought is projected to persist or worsen in the next three months, and climate change appears partly to blame.The post Four Bad Things We Learned About The Epic California Drought Thi […]
- Coal Company Cuts Off Ex-Miners From Their Health BenefitsMurray Energy redirected the blame for cutting benefits to the Obama administration, insisting that the largest independent coal company in the U.S. is the real victim here -- of the so-called war on coal. The post Coal Company Cuts Off Ex-Miners From Their Health Benefits appeared first on ThinkProgress.
- Justice Scalia Tells Law Students ‘Perhaps You Should Revolt’ If Taxes Become Too HighThe remark was in response to a question about the constitutionality of a federal income tax.The post Justice Scalia Tells Law Students ‘Perhaps You Should Revolt’ If Taxes Become Too High appeared first on ThinkProgress.
- Baltimore Will Stop Automatically Detaining Immigrants, Maryland Governor SaysBaltimore will stop automatically cooperating with federal immigration authorities.The post Baltimore Will Stop Automatically Detaining Immigrants, Maryland Governor Says appeared first on ThinkProgress.
- Half of New York City Teens Behind Bars Have A Brain Injury, Study FindsBrain injuries may affect the likelihood that teens up in jail in the first place, and their behavior while they're there. The post Half of New York City Teens Behind Bars Have A Brain Injury, Study Finds appeared first on ThinkProgress.
- “This Thing Is Working”The evidence continues to pile up that the Affordable Care Act is working, and conservatives on the defensive.The post “This Thing Is Working” appeared first on ThinkProgress.
- Court-Ordered Deportations Plunge, But This Mother Is Still Caught In The Deportation DragnetOne mother doesn't want her children to be killed in Mexico if she gets deported. The post Court-Ordered Deportations Plunge, But This Mother Is Still Caught In The Deportation Dragnet appeared first on ThinkProgress.
- HIV-Positive Basketball Player Kicked Out Of City Rec LeagueThere are no recorded cases of HIV being transmitted through sports. The post HIV-Positive Basketball Player Kicked Out Of City Rec League appeared first on ThinkProgress.
- State Department To Delay Keystone XL Pipeline Decision Until After NovemberThe delay is reportedly in response to a recent Nebraska court decision.The post State Department To Delay Keystone XL Pipeline Decision Until After November appeared first on ThinkProgress.
- The U.S. Isn’t Very Good At Preventing Our Food From Making Us SickFederal health officials aren't making significant progress at lowering the rate of foodborne illnesses.The post The U.S. Isn’t Very Good At Preventing Our Food From Making Us Sick appeared first on ThinkProgress.
- Four Bad Things We Learned About The Epic California Drought This Week
Executive Pay Watch
Internal Organizing: One-on-One
Member Action Networks and Communications Structures
Sponsored by the Quad City Federation of Labor with support from the Iowa Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO. Presented by the Labor Center, University of Iowa
UA Local 25 Hall, 4600 46th Ave, Rock Island - Thursday, April 10, 2014
9:00-9:15 Welcome and introductions
9:15-10:15 Clarifying Your Goals: Organizing Issue Identification
- What workers’ rights struggles do you anticipate in the coming year: workplace issues, political struggles, community issues
- Which of these issues could be good foundations for organizing?
- Developing smaller benchmark goals from larger long-term goals
- What could members do to influence the outcome?
10:30-11:45 Assessing and Charting Your Workplace
- How are member action networks usually structured?
- Map your workplace: List work units and # of leaders needed
- Chart your workplace or work area & apply a rating system
- Analyze your charts (any clear trends in participation/non-participation?) and develop an initial organizing plan
12:15-2:00 Recruiting MAT leaders One-on-One
- Develop the initial message, literature, lists you will need when approaching potential member action network leaders
- Structuring an effective one-on-one recruitment conversation: and practice it!
- Keeping records and planning follow-up
2:15-2:45 Activating and Sustaining Your Member Action Network
- Member action network meetings – how often? Content?
- Member action network activities
- Publicity, recognition, ongoing recruitment
2:45-3:00 Wrap-up and evaluations
Save the Date
Fair Tax Citizen Lobby Day
We Need a Better Illinois for All
Why: To fight for the Fair Tax, which gives a tax cut to 94% of Illinois residents while providing stable and sustainable revenues to protect vital services.
When: Tuesday, April 29 at 11:00AM
Where: The Lincoln Statue in Springfield (More Details to Follow. Busses will depart from around the state.)
Who: Local leaders, concerned citizens, and YOU!
Join Quad City area justice activists, community volunteers, faith leaders, union brothers and sisters, and folks from all walks of life to hear more about the efforts to create a fair income tax system in Illinois and increasing the minimum wage to $10.10!
The event will be held at the Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 25 Hall in Rock Island, IL. The Hall is located at 4600 46th Ave, off of Blackhawk Road.
The event will go from 6:30-8:00pm on Wednesday April 16th.
State Representatives Jehan Gordon-Booth, Mike Smiddy, and Pat Verschoore have been invited, along with State Senators Mike Jacobs and Dave Koehler.
Download PDF here – 2014_QCFL_EducationCurriculum
To reserve a seat for any of the classes above simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download PDF –February 2014 Events PDF
To sign up for any event above contact us at email@example.com
Friday, January 24th
Richard Shoemaker UAW Hall
630 19th Street, East Moline, IL
Doors open at 6:00 p.m./Film at 7:30 p.m.
Pop & Popcorn available/BYOB
*Special guest speaker Peter Starzynski from “A Better Illinois” will give a presentation & answer questions at 6:45 p.m..*
RSVP through facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/256994774456684/